Breast Pump Cleaning Instructions
We often get asked which cleaning methods are safe and appropriate for Ameda and Medela breast pump parts. Below are the manufacturer general cleaning and care guidelines. Please refer to your breast pump manual for more specific and detailed information.
Nursing Angel Tips:
- Not all parts require cleaning/sterilising. As a general rule of thumb, only parts that come into contact with breastmilk should be cleaned after each use. Read your breast pump manual carefully so you know exactly which parts require cleaning.
- Tubing does not need to be cleaned (aside from a wipe down) as it does not come into contact with breastmilk under normal use circumstances. Should you accidently wash or sterilise the tubing, or see moisture inside it, please refer to your breast pump manual.
- Delicate parts (such as membranes, diaphragms and Medela Soft Fit Breastshields) require gentle cleaning and care to avoid damage: hand washing method is best.
- Ensure all parts are completely dry before re-assembling your pump.
- Do not heat breastmilk in the microwave. Microwaving can destroy important nutrients in breastmilk and can heat liquids quickly and unevenly. Burns or scalding may result.
- All breast pumps (aside from hospital grade multi-user models) are designed for single mum use only. Use by more than one person voids the warranty and may expose mother and baby to health risks (even if all pump parts are thoroughly sterilised or replaced).